For sizing guide click here
Solitary 55 - Ultralight Climbing/Mountaineering Pack
Summit Gear has been making exceptional packs in Australia since 1981. We have combined this knowledge with the latest technology in ultralight materials to make what we believe is the best 55L ultralight mountaineering/climbing pack in the world. Named after one of the most iconic features in the Blue Mountains, the Solitary 55 combines the trifecta of ultralight, durability and comfort. We have not sacrificed any of these to deliver you the ultimate Overnight Climbing/Alpine pack.
We have carefully selected materials that have the best environmental credentials in their field - including fabrics made at Bluesign® approved facilities from recycled pre-consumer waste and recycled plastic bottles. The pack itself has been designed and made in Katoomba - Australia, by professional machinists who take immense pride in their craftmanship, are paid a real living wage at a facility that is powered by 52 solar panels and acheived a Gold rating from Low Carbon Living - Blue Mountains
We have tested this pack in the fierce Australian bush, the alpine peaks of Europe and the vast Red Rock of Nevada. Designed by a team of people at Summit Gear that have decades of experience is climbing, mountaineering and hiking, we know you will love this pack as much as we do.
The body of the pack is made from UHMWPE - Ultra 200 which has a tensile strength that is 15x stronger than steel. It is incredibly lightweight, abrasion resistant, waterproof, UV resistant and is incredibly hard to tear. Weighing in at 119gsm this is the ideal material for the highest performing pack.
The back of the pack is made from Ultragrid™ – a true innovation in sustainability and strength. Ultragrid is woven at a Bluesign® approved facility with 210d recycled nylon yarn from pre-consumer industrial waste and is interwoven with Dyneema thread. Ultragrid™ provides exceptional tear-strength and visual impact. UltraGrid™ has a C0 DWR coating, free from toxic PFCs, and is finished with a waterproof 1500mm PU backing.
We have incorporated a stretch pocket into the hip belt – ideal for a smartphone and snacks which is made from UltraStretch™ - a 4-way stretch mesh woven with the highest quality Ultra fibers. This fabric is so tough that our auto-cutting machine cannot cut it, thus requiring hand cutting with carbon shears to bring you the performance and longevity that would expect in any Summit Gear pack.
The base of any pack takes a pounding, we have used Ultra 800 UHMWPE (non branded Dyneema) which is highly abrasion resistant. Ultra 800 has more than double the abraison resistance of 1000D Cordura and is lighter making it the ideal fabric to put on the hardest wearing parts of the pack.
The Solitary 55 seams are fully taped sealed to ensure that the pack is entirely weatherproof. The fabrics used on the pack are waterproof and the taping of the seams significantly reduces the amount of water that can get through the pack, making it suitable for use in wet climates.
The Solitary 55 has a removable frame sheet. The frame sheet provides extra support during those long days moving through the mountains. However, if weight is a premium it can be easily removed saving approximately 190 grams, leaving a very comfortable cored 10mm closed cell foam pad. The Solitary 55 weighs in at an impressive 900grams including the frame sheet.
There are virtually no commercial manufactures of hiking packs left in Australia – we aim to kick this trend and prove all the others wrong! We can do this by cutting out all the middle guys, enabling local manufacturing to support living wages and delivering exceptional value and innovation directly to you.
The Solitary 55 has been designed for the addition of multiple attachments such as our helmet net, crampon bag and ski/snowboard attachment systems.
- Removable Frame sheet
- Glove friendly buckles secure your ice axe
- Easy attach skis and poles with G-Hook side compression straps
- Ultralight front access pocket with #10 Waterproof Zipper for ease of use with gloves still on
- Functional Roll-top closure
- Dual Ice axe holders
- Dual Daisy chains
- Easy to use roll top closure.
- 25mm webbing for pack closure is suitable for securing rope to the top of the pack
- Super tough UltraStretch™– tear resistant hip belt pocket.
- Accessories include, our external crampon holder, ski/snowboard attachment system and helmet net.
- Supports hydration bladder
- Tape sealed seams to help keep the water out
- Capacity, 55L
- Height: 56-76 cm with 3 turns of the roll top.
- Width: 29cm
- Depth: 22cm
- Weight: 710grams without frame sheet, 900grams with frame sheet
- Body: UHMWPE – Ultra 200
- Shoulder straps and hip belts: UHMWPE with recycled Ultragrid Nylon/Dyneema composite. 10mm closed cell foam padding
- Back: Ultragrid – 100% recycled Nylon/Dyneema composite
- Internal Pocket and hydration sleeve – 0.5 ounce Dyneema
- Hipbelt pocket – UltraStretch™– 4-way stretch mesh woven with UHMWPE fibres and UltraGrid
- Base: Ultra 800 UHMWPE supporting 16000 ATSM 3884 abraision cycles.
- Ice axe holder – Ultra 800
- Framesheet – Alloy bar attached to 1mm HDPE
- Back Padding - Cored 10mm closed cell foam
While Summit Gear products are shown as being in stock, we often have to make them to order. Please call (02 4782 3018) to confirm the timeframe to produce and ship your order.