Overland 40 - Ultralight Thru Hiking Pack
Summit Gear has been making exceptional packs in Australia since 1981. We have combined this knowledge with the latest technology in ultralight materials to make what we believe is the best 40L ultralight hiking pack in the world. Named after one of the most iconic hikes in Australia, the Overland 40 combines the trifecta of ultralight, durability and comfort making this the ideal day or overnight hiking pack.
We have carefully selected materials that have the best environmental credentials in their field - including fabrics made at Bluesign® approved facilities from recycled pre-consumer waste and recycled plastic bottles. The pack itself has been designed and made in Katoomba - Australia, by professional machinists who take immense pride in their craftmanship, are paid a real living wage at a facility that is powered by 52 solar panels and achieved a Gold rating from Low Carbon Living - Blue Mountains
We have tested this pack in the fierce Australian bush, the alpine peaks of Europe and the vast Red Rock of Nevada. Designed by a team of people at Summit Gear that have decades of experience is climbing, mountaineering and hiking, we know you will love this pack as much as we do.
The body of the pack is made from Ultra 200 (Unbranded Dyneema) which has a tensile strength that is 15x stronger than steel. It is incredibly lightweight, abrasion resistant, waterproof, UV resistant and is incredibly hard to tear making this is the ideal material for the highest performing pack.
The back of the pack is made from Ultragrid™ – a true innovation in sustainability and strength. Ultragrid is woven at a Bluesign® approved facility with 210d recycled nylon yarn from pre-consumer industrial waste and is interwoven with Dyneema thread. Ultragrid™ provides exceptional tear-strength and visual impact. UltraGrid™ has a C0 DWR coating, free from toxic PFCs, and is finished with a waterproof 1500mm PU backing.
We have incorporated dual easy to access stretch pockets into the hip belt – ideal for smartphones, snacks and anything else that you want to readily access. The hipbelt pockets are made from UltraStretch™ - a 4-way stretch mesh woven with the highest quality Ultra UHMWPE fibers. This fabric is so tough that our auto-cutting machine cannot cut it, thus requiring hand cutting with carbon shears. The use of UltraStretch™ ensures that these pockets will survive the tough Aussie bush. Additionally there are two UltraStretch™ pockets on the side of the pack that are large enough to each take a 1L Nalgene water bottle. These pockets are cleaverly designed to slope from front to back, making it possible to grab your water bottle without taking your pack off.
The base of any pack takes a pounding, we have used Ultra 400 UHMWPE (non branded Dyneema) which has double the abraison resistance of 1000D Cordura and is 50% lighter making it the ideal fabric to put on the hardest wearing parts of the pack.
The Overland 40 seams are fully taped sealed to ensure that the pack is entirely weatherproof. The fabrics used on the pack are waterproof and the taping of the seams significantly reduces the amount of water that can get through the pack, making it suitable for use in wet climates.
The Overland 40 is graced with a large front pocket – ideal for stashing your puffer jacket, raincoat or food. This pocket is also fully taped sealed to make it weatherproof and to help keep your items dry.
The Overland 40 has a removable frame sheet. The frame sheet provides extra support during those long days moving along the trails However, if weight is a premium it can be easily removed saving approximately 150 grams, leaving a very comfortable cored 10mm closed cell foam pad. The Overland 40 weighs in at an impressive 795 grams including the frame sheet.
There are virtually no commercial manufactures of hiking packs left in Australia – we aim to kick this trend and prove all the others wrong! We can do this by cutting out all the middle guys, enabling local manufacturing to support living wages and delivering exceptional value and innovation directly to you.
The Overland 40 has accessory attachment points to suit accessories such as our Ultralight Helmet net.
- Removable Frame sheet
- Large weatherproof front stash pocket.
- Seams are fully taped sealed to make the pack weatherproof.
- Glove friendly buckles on the front pocket and sternum strap
- Easy attach hiking poles with G-Hook side compression straps
- Functional Roll-top closure
- Two super tough UltraStretch™– tear resistant hip belt pockets.
- Two UltraStretch™– side pockets
- 25mm webbing for pack closure is suitable for securing rope to the top of the pack.
- Accessory attachment points
- Supports hydration bladder.
- Capacity: 40L
- Height: 52-760 cm with 3 turns of the roll top.
- Width: 25cm
- Depth: 16cm (not including front pocket)
- Front pocket dimensions - 21cm wide x 7cm deep x 33cm high
- Weight: 795 grams with frame sheet, 645 grams without frame sheet (still 10cm closed cell foam padding).
- Body: UHMWPE Ultra 200 – 119gsm
- Shoulder straps and hip belts: Ultra 200 and recycled Ultragrid Nylon/Dyneema composite fabric
- 10mm closed cell foam padding on shoulder straps and back
- Back: Ultragrid – 100% recycled Nylon/Dyneema composite
- Hip belt pockets – UltraStretch™– 4-way stretch mesh woven with UHMWPE fibres and UltraGrid
- Side pockets - UltraStretch™– 4-way stretch mesh woven with UHMWPE fibres
- Base: Ultra 400 UHMWPE supporting 8800 ATSM 3884 abrasion cycles.
- Frame sheet – 16mm Alloy bar attached to 1mm HDPE
While Summit Gear products are shown as being in stock, we often have to make them to order. Please call (02 4782 3018) to confirm the timeframe to produce and ship your order.